Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Leah

This post is about our Boxer "Leah".

She came into our lives at the craziest time - in the midst of purchasing our first home, just before our wedding and a few months before I became pregnant! Brett had the bright idea to visit a boxer breeder in March '08. Of course we didn't come home empty-handed. But who ever does?

Despite the first few months of poop explosions and pee stains on our new carpet, Leah turned out to be a pretty great idea. (Although the pee stains are still around) We had our other dog Bailey, and although he was a sweet pug mix he was never a snuggler. Leah on the other hand lives for some good one-on-one snuggle time. It's something that I didn't know I would need a lot of in the next few years.

Leah paws or "boxes" (hence the name "boxer) at you for your approval. She makes direct eye contact to win you over. She lays near you when you're down. She's just one of those dogs who develops a deeper connection with their owner than most.

At this point, I may sound crazy to non-dog people...I know. But let me explain further.


On nights when Brett and I were stressed with all of our new life changes, Leah would provide great entertainment and be a stress-reliever for us. She's a goofy dog with plenty of quarks that are simply hilarious.

During my first trimester when I was constantly tired, moody and nauseous...Leah was there for me to lean on (literally).

And throughout my infamous third trimester (aka: hell!), Leah new something was up. Every day all day she stayed by me. Poor Leah was probably bored to death right along with me, but she didn't care. She put her head on my arm and provided some happiness and love in those dark months.

When Orien was a newborn, Leah knew instinctively to keep her distance. She sniffed, licked and kept her distance.

As soon as Orien became mobile - it was on! Leah had a new buddy, which was perfect because Bailey was now my Mom's permanent dog. Orien didn't go easy on his furry playmate, but Leah didn't mind. She let (and continues to) him pull her ears, poke her eyes, yell in her face, climb on her back, straddle her, play with her paws and give slobbery kisses on her head. Not many dogs can handle an energetic boy toddler! And for the record, Orien is just as sweet with Leah as he is rough. He hugs, kisses, pets and lays on her all the time. They're best buds.

Throughout my ups and downs in life, whether it's dealing with marriage, parenting or just having a bad day, Leah is always there. She's hanging by my side with her floppy ears, bad breath and drooling jowls. In her 2.5 years of life she has already added so much to our lives. There's never a dull moment with Leah around.

Check out the pictures of our boxer, from puppy hood to now.





































Leah keepin' my big preggo belly warm :)























My two buddies!


1 comment: