Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Boettcher Fam Update

BRETT:  It's been six months since Brett's lung surgery. You would never even know he had cancer or major surgery. People still come up to me and ask how he's doing. I have to remember what they're even talking about at times. Our cancer experience feels like another life to me. It's still surreal. We continue to be in awe of what God can do and how powerful prayer is. We came out of it stronger and closer. Anyway, back to the present. Brett has been busy at work, which is always a good thing. When he's not working, Brett is rough-housing with Orien and watching football. Orien and Brett love to do their "boy" stuff together and act goofy. I know Brett is looking forward to getting some hunting in this fall and winter. He has several opportunities to go within the next few months. He can break in his new gun! Brett is such a true Texas boy. Truck, guns, hunting, camo, football, fishing and yes, a beard! I love it. Well maybe we could all do without the beard?

PATRICIA:  I'm boring but I'll post a few updates on myself... My sleeping is a bit better. That is only because I have been taking sleeping pills to get caught up and to allow my immune to get better again. So I'm praying I can get back to sleeping on my own again soon. With all of my doctor appointments last week, we basically came to the conclusion that my allergies are causing the infections, lack of sleep, and pain in my face. I knew that but it was confirmed. Allegra and Nasonex seem to be working, although I still feel sort of bad after being outside. I'm trying to decide if I should get shots. The thing I'm so allergic to is ragweed pollen, which is what is very high right now. But it will calm down soon, so I may just tough it out. I really feel a lot better. The other issue is my deviated septum. It's getting to the point where I can only breathe out of my left nostril. Ah! It's part of why I can't sleep without waking up a lot. Bottom line though is the surgery is too expensive. We currently have a very high deductible and just can't afford to dish out thousands of dollars right now. Our medical bills this year have already been totally overwhelming, so we can't add this on top of that. Maybe next year? The main sleep issue is anxiety. I cannot figure out how to calm down at bed time and keep a calm mind throughout the night. I've tried lots and lots of things...baths, medicines, hormone replacements, anti-d's, praying, reading...they all work some time, but not all the time. Anyway, we are working on it. Just pray for me! Other than that, I'm doing well and keeping busy. I'm always doing the mom thing - cleaning, laundry, blah blah. But I also have women's bible study and MOMS (Mom church group) weekly. Lately, I've been meeting a lot of new moms. I'm hoping to have some park play dates soon with this awesome weather. 

ORIEN:  And now, for the feature act... our little O! I always blog about O so there's not much to update you all on. He still loves school. He is REALLY enjoying being outside more. Every day this week we've visited a park or gone for a walk. He loves to point out all the animals (birds, squirrels, dogs, cats) when we walk. His favorite park activity is still to swing, but he's getting more confident with climbing on the play sets. If you've been around Orien lately you know he is a kissing machine. Old, young, familiar, stranger, boy, girl... he doesn't discriminate! Orien absolutely LOVES to give kisses. Sometimes it makes for an awkward situation. Like when he threw a tantrum because he couldn't kiss the bagger guy at HEB. Maybe we need to work on who to give kisses to and who to just wave "hi" to. Anyway, O is our little entertainer. He brightens our lives every single day. I thank God daily for blessing us with a healthy, growing, confident (and super handsome!) little boy. I never forget there are thousands of parents out there with sick children. There are also thousands who are struggling to conceive. I keep them in my thoughts always. I never take for granted what we were blessed with. 





At the neighborhood park this morning...high-waders and all.







4 comments:

  1. God has definitely been watching over you and your little family! We are so glad that Brett is healthy and cancer free. I'm glad you are starting to feel better too. Tony is already talking about going hunting as well ha. Boys! I still can't believe our babies are walking talking toddlers now. Seems like yesterday we were excited about the fact that they were able to sit up by themselves! The older Orien gets the more he looks like Brett! I can't believe how blonde his hair is too, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first I am going to start with Orien. LOL LOL LOL he wanted to kiss the bagger guy at the grocery. That is hilarious. Can't wait to get a kiss from him when I come on the 13th. Tell him to save one for me. Love Love Love his expression in the picture.
    Now on to you. I don't know if you open you window and let the house air out with all this beautiful weather we have been having. But, if you do.....don't. All the pollen you are allergic to will come into the house and iritate you allergies more. I had to learn that a long time ago. Even if you have to keep your air conditioner on, at least the air is filtered with the air conditioner. Glad you are getting some sleep. Sometimes medication makes things worse for us. Alegra worked for me too. But, my surgery was a godsend.
    Now for Brett. Thank you GOD for looking after him. He is such a wonderful man especially for you Patricia. I love you two together. Orien is such a lucky little boy to have the parents that he has. Brett is such a hard worker and wants the best for his family. I pray everyday that he stays healthy. It makes me smile when you said the horrible time in your lives are a past memory for you and your family. Move On and Live Life. And thank God everyday. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your wonderful comments! Aunt Rhonda...you should have seen the guy at the store. He was so uncomfortable!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. People say “God works in mysterious ways”. Well I believe he works in “wonderful ways”. Enjoy life; make the best of what you have. And you have one of the best!

    ReplyDelete