Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Um ma'am, we have a problem

You want to know the quickest way to turn O'Ryan's morning funk into a giddy happy dance? Tell him we're going through Jack In the Box for pancakes. That boy loves his mini pancakes. 

So that's what happened this morning. And as we're waiting in line, "I lost my keeeeeys!" came on. You know the Francesca Battistelli song "This is the Stuff?" The theme of the song is how it's so easy for all of us to get frustrated with our daily small problems that we forget how blessed we are by Him.


Anyway, when I pulled up the the window the lady said "Um ma'am, I'm so sorry but we have a problem." I look at her a little confused. "I apologize I didn't enter your order and then totally forgot what you wanted and haven't put it into the computer! I'm sorry..."

I busted out laughing, as her tone sounded so serious I was genuinely worried. Poor lady looked at me like I was insane. I told her no worries. I thought something was really wrong. A few minutes later, O's mini cakes came out. The lady profusely apologized and I said, "No no no. Seriously, it's fine. We're all good!"


"Well you'd be surprised how many people would get really mad about that," she replied. I told her I had too many actual problems to have a cow over a drive-thru order. We gave her a wave and off to preschool we went. 

Okay, rewind 3-4 years ago. I wouldn't have been upset over that particular incident but you cut me off while I'm driving, or hop in front of me in the check out line (It makes me laugh that adults do that!), or shrink my shirt at the dry cleaners? I would be good and mad, boiling with anger or frustration. I'd think, 'Why are people so stupid? What kind of person cuts me off only to stop at a red light 2 seconds later?' I'd be allll filled with negativity. Blah. It's gross. 


I have a few incidents that I'm too embarrassed to even bring up. But they remind me what life is like before you wholly let Christ in your heart. I remember thinking several years ago how I mostly thought of myself as a nice, friendly person. Deep down I knew there were unnecessary, snippy, even ugly thoughts or words just waiting to burst out. I always knew some things needed to change. 

It wasn't until I finally said enough of that. I want to be completely full of light and love. I want to know how to give people the benefit of the doubt. I want to know how to laugh things off. I want to be able to shrug my shoulders and just move on. I want more laughter. More positivity. More joy. This was all part of my transformation process. Once I made the decision to pursue a REAL, living, continuous relationship with God, he jumped in and softened me. I can't explain how freeing it is. You become lighter. And God will use you to push others to let Him in. That's how He works. 


He works through love. Really the entire point of the Bible is all about loving others

"This is my command. Love each other."
"If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them!"
"Love is patient. Love is kind. 
"We love each other because he first loved us."
"Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God's law."
"God IS love."

Rudeness, hurtful words and bitterness only breaks you down. Plus, it just takes too much of your precious energy and time. If you find yourself full of negativity, hatred and anger, just take a step back to observe what you center your life around. If it revolves around anything BUT Christ, it's time to reevaluate things. I can promise you you will never regret opening up your mind, heart and body to let God be the center and take control. 

Because He is love.


We obviously don't take life too seriously. 




6 comments:

  1. I love your response to the lady. It's so true. There are some many REAL problems in my life and in the world to be sweatin' in the small stuff. I love to hear "this is the stuff" when things aren't going right in my day. It always puts me back in a good mood.
    I'm gonna have to try those pancakes one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this blog. I needed to read every single word of it, and now I need to live every single bit of it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post my friend! And the beginning cracked me up--seriously! And poor lady that has to deal with people that get upset over pancakes!

    But I'm like you too and sometimes lose it over silliness like driving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! I'm still a work in progress but love to reflect on how He has worked in me.

    ReplyDelete