Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reset Your Bar

After attending my church's summer women nights, this is what I've concluded about friendships...

God spent a lot of time discussing friendships on purpose. He knows it is not an easy thing - to maintain a healthy, positive relationship with those we love. Thankfully there's this pretty cool little book called The Bible. And it is the answer to a full-filled and JOYful life! :)



When you develop a close friendship with someone, you take a risk by opening the door to your vulnerabilities. Like Tanya (study leader) said, "Vulnerability begets vulnerability." It's how you create an authentic friendship. 

Now this is tough for me... You're true friends have the permission to ask you: Where's God in this? What are you going to do? How's that all working for you? God says our friends need to be the ones who boldly ask us tough questions even in the midst of our painful times. Too many of us (me) simply say what you want the person to hear. That's just a temporary band-aid and does no real good for your friend. 


Something else I struggle with in friendships is being a bit too open and vulnerable too quickly. I enjoy being an open book. But God says to "watch over your heart with all diligence; for from it flow the springs of life." Proverbs 4:23

It's okay to not be so open and close to certain people. You don't want to dive head-first into a relationship if you don't truly know the heart of that person. 


Another verse to live by is this:
"Do not let KINDNESS and TRUTH leave you;
bind them around your neck, 
write them on the tablet of your heart."
Proverbs 3:3

Let kindness and truth become who you are. You will reap rewards if you do! I find this topic a definite challenge but it is all SO true and profound.


And yet another thing I find difficult is to be a fighter not a flighter. 

SO HARD FOR ME.

I don't want controversy. I want people to like me :)

But that's not what God wants for us. He wants us to speak truth and kindness to those who need to hear it. We mustn't turn away from speaking what needs to be said. God challenges us to call our friends to a higher level. 

The Bible always resets the bar.


And finally... I wrap this post up with an amazing verse to live by. 

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:31-32

Can you imagine if we all did this?????

____________________________________________________________________

I leave you with this picture. 

Remember: life can be heavy but ALWAYS LAUGH!!!!


Like I did when I saw this! HA!!


* I credit a lot of this to Tanya Whitaker, my fav bible study leader!

No comments:

Post a Comment