Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Best & Worst of Summer As A Stay At Home Mom

I read a similar post of one of my favorite mom blogs recently. While I agreed with some things I definitely have my own opinions on the subject. So here's my stab at The Best & Worst of Summer (As A Stay At Home Mom).



Top 5 BEST Things About Summer

1. The Heat.  Why, you ask? It Wears. Kids. Out. Last summer I would swim with O in our pool for only 30 minutes and soon he'd be ready for a good solid nap. This year it's even better! We're on a one nap/day schedule and after just a little bit in the pool or at a park, I'm guaranteed a three hour break. Now only if that break didn't include mopping, laundry and dusting...

2. Anything Goes.  Well, sort of. But around here we're a bit more laid-back in the summer months. Sure, Orien you can have a 5th popsicle. Okay, you can stay up til midnight. Fine, you can go in the store in just a diaper with sticky blow-pop hands. That's all an exaggeration, but I'm kinda liking the less-strict schedule lately.

3. Blockbusters.  Personally, I'm not a big movie fan. Theatres makes me want to vom and I'm just too dang picky with movies. But an indoor, air-conditioned theatre with 2 1/2 hours of loud animation and a huge bucket of popcorn is sure to capture the attention of your kiddos. And with this Southern heat, anything indoors is a plus!

4. Pale is Out.  That's right. Bye bye pale, translucent skin, helloooo only slightly pale skin! No, I'm not promoting skin cancer. In this day and age, everyone is well aware of the dangers of the sun. It doesn't mean we can't get a little Vitamin D during the summer season! Sure my son still gets lathered with Nitrogena SPF 170 every time we walk outside. But this momma? I only use SPF 70. And remember...a tan hides cellulite, imperfections and our permanent I'm-Seriously-Beyond-Exhausted-Look.

5. No School!  Yep, it's that time of year when we have our kids all to ourselves every single day to make lasting memories. Be silly, be lazy and just be a kid again... with your kids!


Top 5 WORST Things About Summer

1. No school!  Okay, there are definitely pluses to the kids being out of school (see above). (Hey! I really meant that!) But lets be realistic here. The thought of summer makes moms think ONE thing: What are we going to do everyday!??! And how will I stay sane?!! You don't realize how nice that two or three day a week break is until preschool is done. (You mean I actually have to go grocery shopping and to the dentist and run errands with my kid?!) Ohhh preschool, I love you! You make my son smart, teach him to sing and dance, show him how to hug rather than whack people across the head, and give me several hours of wonderful bliss. Come back soon.

2. Ice Cream Trucks.  Eeee, they just give me the creeps. A child predator selling my kid germ-infested ice cream out of a rusty, broken-down truck? I'll pass.

3. Braving the Pool.  Luckily, we have one right in our backyard. But sometimes we meet friends at the neighborhood pool (aka: urine with a splash of chlorine mixture). Kids go CRAZY at the pool. And usually are mostly unattended. And are very splashy. Remember the #1 Pool Rule is: DO NOT splash MOMS! And funny no one ever has to go pee even though they're drinking 10 Capri-Suns an hour. The baby pool is the worst. It's. Just. So. Warm. Yuck!

4. Bathing Suits.  Why oh why oh why are women expected to "bare all" when wearing a swimsuit? And why do you make us try them on in the most horrendous lighting ever? (And don't even think of bringing your toddler along. I did that yesterday and it was a minor disaster.) I know I'm thin but don't think for a second I don't have some serious insecurities too. Especially after having a baby...things are definitely different. I'll spare y'all the details. There's so much darn pressure to look a certain way. I know they say 'Don't give in to the pressure. Feel good in your own skin!' But really, who are we kidding? No one thinks like that. Guys have it SO easy sometimes.

5. Summer Vacation.  Ah, how that phrase changes after kids. More like a Summer RE-location but with less naps, less sleep, too much stuff, not enough $$, a cranky husband and a super-stressed out Momma. Not every vacation is a disaster but the odds aren't in your favor, especially if you travel with a baby. We went to Jackson Hole, WY once when O was three months old. Three. Months. Old! And it was our first kid so we still didn't know what the heck we were doing. At all. Basically we changed diapers, got three hours of rest/night, cleaned up vom, made bottles and walked around bouncing a very fussy baby - ALL in the spectacular beauty of the Tetons. Not that we noticed.


HAPPY SUMMER Y'ALL!

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy you have these choices and decisions to think about. The last time I had a summer off was 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan- I'm happy to!!! Better than being a working momma! Now THAT'S hard.

    ReplyDelete