Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SLEEP (Warning: DO NOT READ if you are pregnant or have a newborn)

Okay, well now that most of you who are reading this are preggo or have newborns, don't say I didn't warn you.


People lie to you a lot when you get pregnant. 

It's sad but so very true. They say things like "parenthood is so great!", "being pregnant is just wonderful", and "having a kid is super fun!" Now there is great truth to all of that. But there is so much they aren't telling you. Secretly, they're thinking "oh you poor thing, you really have no clue what's about to happen." Or maybe that's just what I think??

Anyway, back to people lying. They lie about how easy labor and delivery is, they lie about the "adorable" newborn stage, they lie about the JOYS of breastfeeding, they lie about the entire first few years of sleep. Etc, etc.

This blog post is about sleep. And it's mostly for me. I wanted to take a look back on my sleep. I feel like after 3 looooong and very blurrrrrry years, I finallllly am getting normal sleep every night. Whew! That's not to say I'm not totally exhausted every day still, because I definitely am. That just comes with being a fulltime mom of course :)

So here we go.



After not sleeping for 9 months (pregnancy) and two nights (having a baby) here I am with Brett & newborn O! What an experience that was! Pale was SO in.




Daddy is already dosing off and it's still Day 1...uh oh.




 Week 1:  How did I find strength to put on make up?! I think Emily and Preston were coming over to visit. I wanted to look a quarter-way decent for outside-world visitors. At this point in the game we (me) were getting 1-2 hours/night of BROKEN UP sleep. Hmm... good times!




Week 1:  Daddy again nearly half dead holding our newborn. He wasn't getting much more rest than I was during this time. Brett was feeding Orien formula once/night. Gotta love my man!!! He never complained ONCE :)




Week 4:  First road trip! At the lake house and still totally exhausted. Lesson learned - vacations are now RELOC-ations. 




Week 8:  Looking a bit more lively here. Maybe it's the white shirt, but do a have some color??? Still not getting ANY sleep here though I assure you! We didn't get several hours consecutively on a nightly basis until month 8. 



Month 8:  Big jump here! We're both looking well rested and pretty happy :) Must have been a good night. 



 

 Month 13:  We hit a year and things went really well for a while. But then he started waking up all through the night for MONTHS. I couldn't believe it! 




Month 17:  Visiting Jackson Hole, WY. Vacations were never easy as far as sleep goes. We could always just expect not to sleep much. Especially when we traveled to JH. Although we were exhausted during this trip, it was an awesome vacation!!! One of our favorites.



     

Month 21:  Another JH trip, this time with Maqui! We were all dogsledding, so we must have been feeling pretty rested :) This was such an awesome experience. Speaking of sleep...Orien slept the ENTIRE time we sledded. 




Month 24:  And here we are...looking NORMAL! We made it! Orien has moved to his big boy bed (that turned out to be the KEY to sleep around our house) and we are all sleeping wonderfully every single night. 




 I know I've made lots of jokes about lack of sleep, but I wouldn't change any of it. It's made us three grow closer and stronger, that's for sure. We love our handsome, sweet man just as he is! 

Plus, ya' know what they always say...the second one is always the opposite of the first!

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Now lets see what a little Boettcher girl would look like. Orien would be a great big brother.

    ReplyDelete