Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hold the gluten, please.

In case you were wondering how my gluten free diet is going...you're in luck! That's the topic of this blog post :)

Really things are going better than expected, especially considering I'm only 5ish weeks in. AND considering I've had to give up basically my favorite food, bread. Sigh.

I really miss just grabbing some good old Bairds bread and whipping up a PB&J. Now I have to go to the ultimate health-nut store, Whole Foods (which O loves because they have cool basket-racecars), buy special, ahem, expensive gluten free bread that attempts to be tasty but only succeeds about 50%.

Yes, it could be worse and I am living mostly migraine-free nowadays but it's frustrating at times. I think when I get the most frustrated and overwhelmed is when I think how I have to do this forever. Like, forever ever. The rest of my life. I couldn't even eat a bite of my son's birthday cake the other weekend. I had to make my own special GF cake (which was excellent by the way - thank you Betty Crocker for thinking of us gluten free peeps!). I have also found that as a person who is gluten sensitive, traveling is extremely difficult. You basically have to pack lots of GF food from home and drag it around with you everywhere, which is NOT ideal.

Bottom line is this whole diet change will definitely take some getting used to, just like any change in life. The best part is there are a lot less migraines occurring around the Boettcher house. And let me tell you - THAT is a change we can all definitely get used to :)

Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment