Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Orien is a Smarty Pants, Gisele is an Idiot

"Some people here (in the US) think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?' I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months."

- Gisele Bundchen, model & apparently an expert on what is best for every mom and baby

Why do so-called "famous" people even think we will listen to them? I have never once thought 'Oh let me do what Tom Cruise says because he is sort of attractive and can kind of act. Anyway, this latest comment by Bundchen is no exception for me. The only reason I'm even taking the time to blog about it is because this hits a sore spot for me.

I breastfed for nearly two weeks. Then one day I couldn't. Who knows why...maybe a mixture of lack of rest, anxiety, not eating or drinking enough? But either way I dried up and that was that. Emotionally it was very difficult to accept the fact that I could not feed my child the way I had been excitedly looking forward to. Breastfeeding was magical and surreal almost. But the bottom line is it didn't work for me with my son. So we moved onto formula and wa-la!!!! He is a thriving, energetic, giggly, 16 month old!!!

And he's a smarty pants. So take that Gisele whatever-your-last-name is.

If there's something you learn quickly in mommy hood it's: DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS. Every situation and every parent is different and we have our reasons for what we do. Just respect others and DO YOUR OWN THING! Us parents have it hard enough just being parents and trying not to walk around like zombies 24/7. So lets support each other and lift others up.

Spread the love and forget the judgments!


2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think a lot of people take things too far. Breastfeeding is good, but like you said, not everyone is able to for a lot of different reason. Even though I've breastfed Cady so far, it was NOT easy. I bet the lack of sleep, food, and water was the culprit for you. Whenever I'm not feeling well like that, it's been low for me, and it's been up and down this whole year. At first I felt guilty that she had to drink a few bottles of formula here and there sometimes when I didn't have enough because there's so much pressure to be a perfect parent, but I've learned to accept that I tried my best. There's definitely a lot of judgement when it comes to parenting, and the bulk of that pressure is placed on mothers, which really isn't fair.

    P.S. I agree! Just because someone is famous doesn't mean they know anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree! I am so tired of hearing how dumb and sick my child is going to be because I couldn't breast feed him. People can be so ignorant and it I was so mad when I read her comment.

    ReplyDelete