Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Adult Summer Reading

Summer Reading used to be dreadful in high school. The LAST thing I wanted to do was read some classic novel about made up people doing made up things. Of course that was then...

Now I LIVE for summer reading time...or any reading time for that matter (or any time alone actually!). Since I was a teenager, I have loved books with a passion. Unfortunately, I never liked the books we had to read in school. But I used to spend lots of time at the bookstore in town just browsing and spending too much money on novels and travel books and lots, lots more. Ironically, Brett worked at the local bookstore during our HS years, but we never met. Anyway, over the years I've gone through reading spurts when time allowed. In college it was nearly impossible to find free time to read. When I did have free time, I usually slept. Or napped.

But now my lifestyle allows for me to indulge in a steady flow of book after book after book. Nightime is book time for me. Brett and I spend our time together in the evenings too, but once 9pm (or 8pm if the book is REALLY good) rolls around...I jump in to my latest read. I like humorous, light-hearted stories - fact or fiction. I enjoy travel stories, dog books, mysteries, thrillers, and inspiring novels. But I'd have to say my favorite type of book is the ones that make you think and think hard. My favorites are the ones that stay with you throughout the day; the ones that disturb you and bother you. Yes, it sounds dark and dreary! But my point is that novels are supposed to some how stir up your thoughts and get you to not only read, but almost experience different point of views.

Currently, the book I'm reading does just that. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett is completely amazing. Check out the Amazon reviews and summary here: http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341

I can't stop thinking about this story even hours after reading it. I highly recommend this one. I encourage anyone and everyone to read! If you don't know where to start, go to Amazon.com and check out the NY Times list and other top favorites. You can't go wrong there. Reading keeps your brain sharp and expands your horizons in many ways. It allows me to see various perspectives and experiences that I would have otherwise never seen.
It's hot and it's summer...so go grab a book (if you're in the South, grab a cold drink too) and GO READ!!!!





1 comment:

  1. thanks for the great recommendation...I'm downloading it now...

    ReplyDelete