Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

At a Glance VS Reality

Leah would argue that it was a quite relaxing day.


At a glance, our day would seem just fine and dandy.

Brett took O'Ryan to get donuts before dropping him off at preschool. I showered alone at a leisurely pace. One of my very favorite people came over to plan a summer ladies retreat. Great convo, productivity, love was shared.

Later I scooped O up from school and took him to the chiropractor and to run a brief errand. Then we met some friends at stomping grounds to let the kids run crazy as us moms chatted. Before we knew it, it was time to head home for dinner. O and I cuddled up for a movie night on the living room floor, surrounded by our snugly pups.

But.

If you peered a bit closer, you'd see a totally different story come into focus.

...

After tossing and turning all night from sharp back pain, I finally dragged myself out of bed at 6:30am. Several phone calls to doctors later, we realized a trip to the ER was probably necessary for this hurting momma. I could barely move my body without stabbing pain shooting down my back and arms. Did another disc get messed up? Did one herniate? Ah! Called more doctors to get more opinions only to get more answering machines.

Brett took an unhappy camper to school. O wanted to stay with mommy since he knew she was hurting. I slowly showered and did make up all the while looking like stiff, injured 80 year old. Thankfully a friend came over and distracted me with her pleasantness for an hour and a half.

After icing and heating and stretching in weird ways, I was off to get O. Again, he was an unhappy camper because we were headed to the "firecracker" (chiropractor). I bribed for good behavior with a promise of candy. The chiropractor showed me my neck x-rays to remind me just how crazily messed up my neck is. Apparently my neck should be curved like a "c" and it's a complete straight LINE. What?! In. The. Wooorld.

Chrio had no answer.

Next up was Bed Bath & Beyond. 30 minutes later, O'Ryan was sugared-up on a blue raspberry ring pop and ready for stomping grounds. Whew. Finally somewhere I can sit and rela...wait O'Ryan stop stealing Allie's crackers. No, don't push him, he's just a baby! Get out from underneath the table! Gimme that stupid ring pop! Just go play and have fun. No, away from here! Sigh.

Time to go cook dinner. Except I somehooow lost all of my energy to cook. So hey! Lets do a movie night (evening) and ask Daddy to cook when he gets home. Oh wait. I can't hear the movie because my three year old asks questions every 5 seconds. Ugh, now the dogs are stomping all over us with their muddy, stinky paws! Teton drops his slimy tennis ball on my head 10 times so I'll throw it. Forget the movie.

Lets go out to dinner.

Uh oh, it's coming. Can we avoid it? Yes, I think we - oh no, it's too late.

TANTRUM. Full-on red-faced screeching, kicking tantrum. Screw dinner. I lost my appetite. Dodge O'Ryan's punches and kicks as I put him in bed for the night. Who cares if it's 6:30pm. Good night! Try to act normal and have adult convo with Brett as we ignore the wailing. 20 minutes into the tantrum I give in and calm him down. Lets just go make pancakes.

Ah. We all three sit and eat and smile and chat. After nearly dodging two more tantrums O'Ryan is bathed and put into bed. Now?

We pass out.

...

At a Glance VS. Reality = TWO VERY DIFFERENT VIEWS!


Life as a SAHM totally drains me and wears me out. Life living with pain does the same. But I was blessed to be able to even think about doing all I did today! There was a time when all of that would have been unthinkable. I documented this day all in good humor, but every bit is true. I always want to remember just how crazy, wild and hilarious our days were during this season of life :)


Ring pop excitement

Attempt at Movie Night


1 comment:

  1. This post brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eyes. It's so honest and full of joy, joy that even peeks through pain. You inspire me P!

    ReplyDelete